Monday, November 15, 2010

Bergerac

Our last night of the road trip we stayed in a little town called Bergerac. When I called home while we were planning our trip and asked my mom if she had ever heard of the place, she said sure, you know, like Cyrano de Bergerac. Sure, I know him. Nope. Only recently I had the story recounted and figured out what he was all about.
Anyway, we had a lovely little walking tour through the town on the day of the Dead (Nov 1). There were flower markets set up in front of the church. Sadly, the church had scaffolding all over it, so it wasn’t a great sight, but it confirmed what we have learned about little French towns; they are all built around churches.
We walked down to the little square where we had eaten a not so delightful meal the night before and my roommate had her picture taken with Cyrano himself, well the statue version of him anyway. We walked through a little square with some very cute bed and breakfasts, where we should have stayed, but when I was booking places I didn’t realize chambers d’hotels meant they were bed and breakfasts, so oh well. My roommate realized that she would have been a little tall for the past few centuries and navigating the small doors into the residences would have been a bit interesting. We walked to the old port and marveled at the colorful leaves on the sides of the buildings. We completed our tour in about…30 minutes. The town just isn’t that big. Then we were off to the east and headed home, but not without a few stops on the way…

No comments:

Post a Comment