Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Soup

I’m going to give you a little heads up if you ever come to France and want to eat soup. If you look at the menu and it says that you’re getting vegetable soup with tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, beans, spinach, etc… and you don’t like one of those ingredients…then consider not getting the soup. The reason? All soup here is puréed. The only soup I had eaten puréed before I came here was tomato. I bring this up today because I made chicken noodle soup last night. I chopped up the carrots, turnips, zucchini, onion and mushrooms, threw them in the pot, boiled the water, cooked the chicken and put in the noodles. Then, we eat. If you don’t like celery? You avoid it. I told the people I work with that I was going to have chicken noodle soup for lunch. They’d never heard of it. I explained how it was made and they were dumbfounded. Soup that isn’t puréed? Weird. You now have fair warning that if you want some nice chunky veggie soup, it isn’t going to happen in France. Find yourself some beef bourguignon stew instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment