Sunday, December 12, 2010

Last Weekend in Clermont

Hard to believe that it has been almost an entire year, but the past weekend was my last in Clermont-Ferrand. I started the weekend on Friday night with a few beers at one of the best bars in Clermont. It is bar called Bertrom and it was decked out for the holidays. I wish I could have captured a good photo of the place, but it made me wish I had gone there all the time. If it weren't on the other side of town I might have. There was a Christmas tree, lights, fake snow, elves on the windows and it was happy hour, so beers were half-price. We had a couple of Beglian beers and then headed to our favorite creperie in Clermont: Pescajoux. The owners are super nice and we had a great final crepe meal in Clermont. We closed the place down drinking cider with Vincente and Bruno.
Saturday we were all over Clermont. We started by buying some bug spray (for Costa Rica) at the pharmacy I frequented while in Clermont because the pharmacist is so nice. Then we had a lunch of croques, with chevre on top. The rest of the day was spent wandering around Clermont looking for souvenirs and enjoying a busy winter day in town. We stopped in a great coffee shop that I wish we would have taken advantage of earlier. We went to a hidden museum that I had read about, but that was a bit more difficult to find than we expected. Then we ended up at the market to buy the last of the smoked bacon for breakfast on Sunday morning. Dinner on Sat night was a bit more difficult than expected as we went to five restaurants before finding a place that had room for us, and conveniently we ended up at the second place we ate in Clermont. It was good, but after a filling dinner and some wine it was time to turn in.
Sunday I got up and went to my final mass at the cathedral before heading to the Michelin Adventure. It is essentially a museum of the history of Michelin and how they have grown. Since Michelin is the heart of Clermont, I felt I should go. It was time well spent. Sunday afternoon was my last rugby game. I didn't go, because it was freezing cold, but I did go to the Irish bar The Still and watch ASM bring home a winner in a close game. I drank my final Carslburg on tap, and thought about my brother the whole time.
I have by no means done everything there is to do in Clermont, but my time and year was well spent. The final weekend was just an accumulation of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment