Monday, December 6, 2010

new word

About a week ago, the woman who sits across from me was telling me a story. She speaks like 400 miles a minute and half of the time I catch about 2/3s of what she is saying. Sometimes it is significantly less than that. During the progression of this story, she said a word a few times that I didn't know so I went to google and put in variations of what I thought it was to try and figure out the word. I do this about 10 times a day when I'm listening to a conversation. I'm a visual learner, so knowing how the word is spelled generally helps me remember it better. This word that she was saying had two possibilities, it was either "quand meme" or "comme meme". I decided it was "quand meme" by the context of the way she was using it. I found out that "quand meme" means "anyway" and now I can't stop hearing it. I was a lunch with my landlords and one of them said it multiple times. Then I was walking home from work and walked past a kid telling his friends a story and heard it in his conversation. It is everywhere! I think of how often I use the word anyway and I'm sure I'd be saying it a lot too, but it boggles my mind that I have been here 11 months and never picked up on such a popular word before now. Hey, at least I'm still learning something new everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment