Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So....American

Working in a French office environment has been quite interesting. There are a bunch of similarities between American and French workplaces, but there are some interesting perceived differences as well.
One day about a month ago, a guy that works down the hall from me came into the office that I share with two other women dressed in a suit and tie. One of the women asked him if he had a meeting with the Americans or he was just trying to look like one. I was a little confused at first, because I have seen men in suits in the office, but then I realized that it was the fact that he was wearing a tie that did it. The business attire here is pretty laid back. I have worn business clothes every day, suit pants and a sweater or dressier shirt. My boss wears suit pants every day and has a suit jacket with him at all times. Everyone else runs the gamut from jeans and a button down to suit pants and sweaters. I think it just depends on what they feel like wearing that morning or who they have a meeting with that day. Wear a suit and tie though and you’re teased for trying to look American.
Also, when I first started, no one really told me the hours of the office. On the first day it said show up at 8:30. I have shown up at 8:30 every day since then. Also on the first day, I asked when to be back from lunch, they said any time between 1:30 and 2. I make it back generally around 1:30, sometimes closer to 1:45. I didn’t really ask what time to leave the first day, I just left at 5 and have every day since. I learned later that this is a truly “American” thing to do.
Apparently the French work “long hours”. The come in between 8 and 8:30 and work til 6 or 6:30. This isn’t everyone, but it is the salary people. There is a host of other people walking out of the building at 5 with me. Now the French will tell you that they work longer hours than Americans and hint at that meaning that they work harder. At that I just shake my head. Here’s why. Let’s calculate. Let’s say the day starts at 8:30 and goes til 6. That is 9 ½ hours. So take out 1 ½ for lunch. 8 hours. Take out 15 minutes for coffee from 8:30-8:45 (yes, in the morning, after you have just arrived). Take out 15 minutes for coffee from 10-10:15ish (that’s a wimpish break) Then take out the 15 minutes for coffee from 3-3:15 and, well if it has been a long day, take out the 15 minutes for coffee from 4:45-5 (yes, an hour before you leave). Add that all up and you have… 7 hours of work spread across 9 ½ hours. (I didn’t take into account the “chat” time that randomly happens when someone gets bored). Now, I am in no way saying that coffee breaks and chat times don’t happen in American offices. I know they do, but, the insinuation that Americans don’t work hard because they leave the office at 5 and are finished with work is just misleading. I know plenty of Americans who work 60 hour weeks or leave the office at 5 but spend another 2 hours each day working at home.
Another note on the French “work time”. Most salaried people work 40 hours a week while the non-salaried work 35. If you work 40 hour weeks in France? You get 8 weeks of vacation. Only working 35 hours a week, you slacker, 4 weeks of vacation for you.
Man America, get with the program.

*disclaimer…this is a blog written from my experience in the French office environment, I’m sure, that like everywhere, hours, breaks and vacation allotments change depending on the employer

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I live in Madagascar and have lived 15 years in Belgium. Having worked in a US bank located in Brussels, I was, as you were, surprised by the 8.30 coffee break. Something I haven't experienced in other companies I worked for (other multinationals, smes...). Ironically, I used to think it was a US thing. Now, I agree with your disclaimer... hours & breaks change depending on the employer... prolly not on the cy's nationality

    ReplyDelete