Friday, August 27, 2010

Geneva via Invalides

My train out of Vernon was early Thursday morning, so I made it to Paris after a little train delay. I had about 3 hours to kill in Paris before getting my train to Geneva, so I decided to go to the Musee d'Armee and the tomb of Napoleon. This is one of the few major things that I hadn't done yet in Paris, so off I headed. The bad part of this expedition is that I had to keep my luggage with me the whole time. I just had my small roll-on, but it was still a pain lugging it around the museum. I only had time to see the Armory in the Museum, but it was really cool. I really wanted to just see Napoleon's tomb, but that wasn't an option, so I took in some of the other museum features. There was also a whole segment on WWII and Charles de Gaulle, which was interesting to see after having seen Normandy so recently. Napoleon's tomb is just plain huge. He must have been a big dude. It was pretty neat how the place is set up. You walk in the church and there is a big hole in the middle of the floor that you look down into to see his tomb. Then you can go downstairs to the crypt and see other tombs as well. I was glad I took the little detour on the way to Geneva.
I made it to Geneva and my family friend that I was meeting there met me right after I left the train. It was great because I didn't have to think about how to get to the hostel or figure out where I was. We spent Thursday night walking around Geneva and getting oriented. We stopped at an ice cream vendor that was in a little plaza and I had some of the best ice cream I've ever had. The flavor I had the first day was double cream and meringue and day two was swiss chocolate. Yummy. The first night we happened upon some music while we ate! The city is really neat. Big enough to be worth going, but not so huge that it is unattainable. We ended up eating at a little place in the old city. It was fantastic and we ate on the terrace which was just lovely.
It was pour rain on Friday morning, but we decided to go to the U.N. anyway because we figured it would be an indoor tour so we could still see what we wanted. The most random part of the adventure was that right when we got off the tram there was a huge chair in the square! We found out it was built by the Association for Disabilities. We walked around to the main door and I had to present my passport and then get an official badge to ge in the door. Our tour guide was very proper and precise and insisted that we stay with him at all times. It was pretty interesting to see where all the major conferences are. Now when I see the clips on tv I'll know where they were! There are gifts from all the different nations in the building and they actually make up some of the construction of it. One of the rooms had carpet that was made in, and donated by, a certain country, while Spain donated the construction and redecoration of two rooms! They seemed to have made the biggest contribution. The USA sent a bunch of art. Strange to me, but I guess it is needed too. After the U.N. we took in the Botanical Gardens because the rain had ceased a bit. We had lunch there and the went back up to the old city to see the church that was on the hill called St. Pierre Cathedral. We walked up to the top of the towers and had a great view of the Jet of Water that is in the middle of Lake Leman. The weather had cleared up by then, so we enjoyed our afternoon expedition. We were a little tired though and decided it was best to head home to rest for a bit before having dinner.
My very expensive Swiss experience was capped off with a dinner of cheese fondue that was amazing. I really wanted chocolate fondue as well, but it was 25 CHF, which is around $25. I like dessert a lot, but not enough for that. Plus when she was describing all that was with it, I didn't think I could have done it justice. I'll mention breakfast the next morning because I had something that I haven't had here yet and it was a pain au chocolat with two different kinds of chocolate! There was white on one side and dark on the other...and it had sprinkles on the top! Great way to cap off an educational and interesting trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment