Saturday, August 28, 2010

Week 1

I started my internship this week. Here are some general thoughts on the matter:
- The first day was a little hairy. It was the first day back from vacation for a bunch of people so there was some confusion as to where I was supposed to go and if I really was there on the right day, so I got a bit of a late start, but things progressed. I got my computer on Thursday and my badge on Friday. I'm still waiting for a cell phone and an office and then I'll be all set. My actual boss arrives back from his 4-week vacation on Monday.
- I understand French pretty well. When people are talking directly to me and I'm focused on listening I understand just about everything they are saying. In fact, I understand well enough to know when they throw questions in. Sadly, this is when things go down hill for me. I just can't think fast enough to put thoughts together and conjugate the verbs correctly. I know I'll learn more while I'm working though because everyone speaks to me slowly and clearly. The good thing is that all of the office also speaks English, so if it just isn't working out, I have another option.
- The office is full of guys. I work with 9 men. About half have worked for the company for over 20 years and the other half I think are in their early 30s. I'm pretty sure they are all married, and a few have little people. They are a fun group and are definitely personable. This week I shared an office with the German, but sadly didn't pick up any German, although he spoke plenty of it (and loudly) on the phone. Next week I get to use the office of the guy who is going to Turkey for the week. Sweet! A big window and everything.
- When I'm finished I will have contacts all over Europe. I have to gather information for contracts from 8 zones: UK, Italy, Iberian Peninsula, France, ASA (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Polba (Poland and the Baltic nations), Nordic Countries and the Eastern European nations including Turkey. I am going to have some serious European exposure. Nice. There is also a slight possibility that I might have to visit some of these other nations. I'm pushing for Germany next month (psssst September is Oktoberfest in Germany ;-) )
- I spent the majority of this week trying to read contracts that 1. Are written in French and 2. Contain information that concerns products and services that I have absolutely 0 experience with. I feel like an absolute idiot right now, but I hope I'm finding the stuff that is relevant. I'm sure someone will tell me shortly if I'm not.
All in all it was a good first week. I'm trying to get back into the groove of waking up every morning and doing the hair and make up, but I'm sure I'll fall into the routine sometime here soon. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment