Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kate vs. the Volcano

Did you know the region of France where I live is actually a string of volcanos? Dormant thankfully, so no need to worry about spontaneously having to run for my life. These volcanos make the region very pretty and provide quite a lovely day of activites for those looking to do some hiking. Yesterday, my roommate and I decided to hike up to the top of the highest volcano: Puy-de-Dome. We drove part of the way up to a parking lot that is designated for the hikers. After we parked we just started walking up the hill. At one point a lady asked us if we needed help. We told her "no" that we were just going to hike to the top. She kindly said we did, in fact, need help because we were going the wrong way. Right. She gave us the option of taking a bus to the base of the trail, but we scoffed at that and walked instead. All was fine and dandy until we started up the actual trail to the top. Ok people, I hiked the Grand Canyon less than a year ago, but boy oh boy was I not in shape for the 45 minute ascent to the top. Part of the reason was that we were walking in loose gravel, you know, kind of like sand. Another reason the trail was harder than it needed to be was because I wore my tennis shoes. Great shoes, BUT, I have even better ones, with me, here in France. I brought with me the boots that I used to hike the GC, so that I could wear them in the snow, but did I wear these hiking boots when I was actually hiking? NO. dumb. After quite a few petite pauses we finally made it to the top and enjoyed the glorious view, weather and breeze. The way down was much quicker, making enjoying the view, and nature, much easier. It took us a total of 3 hours to hike up and down the volcano and I gave my muscles a workout. Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment