Thursday, August 26, 2010

Giverny

My third day of vacation consisted of a lot of trains. I took a train from Pontorson at 9:15 and made it to Paris. I had to change train stations and then spent about 1 1/2 hrs. waiting for another train. I finally made it to my third destination about 3pm. I had to go without dropping off my luggage because the hostel wasn't open yet, so I found the bus to take me to Giverny. For those of you not familiar with Giverny, it is where Monet lived and painted some of his most famous works, most notably the Water Lilies. I got to the little town and made my way to the tourist office to see if they could hold my bag for me. They didn't have space so they sent me to the Impressionist Museum. I left my bag behind the counter and went through the museum. I really do like impressionist art. I know a lot of people that don't like it, but there is something very intricately cool about it that I really enjoy. Maybe some of it is that it really does look like a lot of work, and to see how everything comes together is pretty interesting.
After that museum I headed to Monet's house and garden and it was spectacular. I had to wait in line for a bit, but once I got in I absolutely loved it. I walked up to the house and it is pink, which was an interesting first impression, but once I got inside I decided that I want a house just like it someday. I liked how it was laid out in some respects. I don't think I can properly explain it, but every room was next to each other in a row, then there was an upstairs the same way. So it was a long house, but each room was distinct. There were also great, bright colors in each of the rooms. The dining room was brilliantly yellow and made me happy. Then I went out and looked at the garden, which was in bloom, but funny how when I was looking at my parents pictures of the garden there are no flowers that are the same. It makes me wonder if they are really just good planners or if they replace the flowers when they are finished blooming. I think they just plant it so that there is always stuff blooming. It was spectacular. I then went through the underground tunnel to the water lily garden. It is such a serene and quiet place, even with tons of tourists walking around. I took more pictures in Giverny than I did anywhere else on the trip.
After the house and garden I went and saw where Monet is buried and headed back to the bus, making a quick stop at the bust of Monet that is on his grounds. I only ended up being in Giverny for about 2 1/2 hours, but it was definitely worth the trip and I'm glad I made it.
M hostel ended up being pretty far away from town, but I dropped my stuff off and headed to town for dinner. Being as it is still vacation for most of the French, I didn't have a lot to choose from, so I settled on pizza. I tried to go to bed around 9, but it didn't work out. I woke up the next morning with big bug bites again as well. I always kick myself when I forget to bring something important on a trip. This time it would have been the cortizone cream of the bug sprary. Dope!

No comments:

Post a Comment