Sunday, September 5, 2010

29 for the first time

I'm officially a year away from 30. My birthday consisted of a whole bunch of activities around Clermont. We began the day with French toast courtesy of my roommate. Yum. Then we were off to the market to get some provisions for this week's meals. I love the market and every time I go there I see different things and sometimes I just don't know what it is! One of my favorite things lately is that they have different colored cauliflower. I have never in my life seen purple or orange cauliflower, but they have it. One of these days I'm going to buy some and try it. We did end up buying two of these little fruits that we'd never seen before. They are called quetsche. After I looked them up in the dictionary we determined that they are really just plums, but they looked different. Still sweet and juicy though!
After the market we walked around Clermont for a while doing some errands. We stopped for an ice-cream cone before lunch, but I can do that because it was my birthday. Later in the afternoon we sat out in front of one of our favorite bars and had an afternoon beverage before coming home to rest up for the evening. That's when my roommate came home with a cake from the corner patisserie. It was strawberry and said "Joyeux Anniversaire Kate" on the top! Yay!
My birthday dinner was at a place called Cassoulette, which makes these amazing potato concoctions. Think scalloped potatoes, but for a mina dish so there are ones that have ham or tomatoes or beef. Mine had onions, mushrooms, lardons (chopped ham) and lots of cream and cheese because we are, of course, in France. I guess the tradition at this restaurant is to bring a bottle of Calvados after the meal and the table can drink as much as they want for free. This only works because the drink is really, really strong. I found mixing it with water made way more sense. At the moment anyway. The night only progressed into craziness from there. I won't recount the ensuing madness, but I will tell you that I woke up this morning and didn't exactly feel like doing jumping jacks.

1 comment:

  1. And they have Romanesco!! That is something I discovered in Seattle and scoured the internet to find seeds. I now have some growing in my little Chicago backyard, so hopefully it grows.

    ReplyDelete