Friday, September 3, 2010

A University Town

This week something crazy happened in Clermont: All the people reappeared! For the past 3 months or so, life has been pretty slow around these parts. I live in a town heavily populated by schools. I think there are 3 high schools, four upper echelon universities/colleges, and 3 elementary age schools within a 10 block radius of my place. In the summer I can walk down the middle of the street and not be bothered. I can go to the grocery store at 6pm and wait in line behind one person, and I can walk to and from work without having to wait at crosswalks and I can walk home for lunch breathing nice fresh air. Now? Pandimonium has hit. I have to dodge slow walkers and texters while walking down the street, the grocery store was SLAMMED at 6pm. We're talking all lanes open with 6 people in each line. I have to stop at all the crosswalks and make sure no crazies on motor bikes are flying around the corners and lunchtime? Might as well light up a cigarette for the whole walk home because there are people everywhere smoking, while walking to lunch or sitting on the terrance eating lunch. Yuck. I have to admit it is nice to have people back and the energy back into the city. It is also nice to have restaurants and bars open again, the choices abound. The nicer weather allows us to be outside more and being eaten by fewer bugs and the festivals in Clermont return. There are perks to living in a town full of students, but I have to get back into the zone for the craziness that come with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment