Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chivalry

One thing I have noticed more while working at a real company is that the men that I work with are really mindful of their manners. I'm sure some of this has to do with the fact that I've only been working there a week, some probably has to do with the fact that 3/4ths of the time I don't know what is going on and some is probably just they are trying to be nice, but I'll give it to them, they do pay attention. When I'm in a group and someone else enters, I'm always the first one to get greeted with a handshake. When walking back to the office they all purposefully slow down to make sure I'm the first one to get through the door and they always hold the door for me and thank me if I happen to hold it for them. They are just generally very agreeable and hospitable folks.
The interesting thing about this is that most French are like this when they are in their comfort zone or surrounded by their friends or co-workers. In my experience with French people they are as cordial and out of their way nice as possible when you meet them in a setting that is familiar to them and safe. Walking down the street you'd never know that the person that just walked by you without even bothering to move over 6 inches so you can pass as well, is the same person who will be profusely nice to you in your work department. It is true that the French can be very standoffish and cold when you don't know them, or have any association with them, but they also can be very cordial and engaging when they want.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Is this you? I found it on what I think may be Mitch's blog. Is he living in NYC? Are you working in France or studying or both? Amazing what I can find on your mom's facebook page!!!

    ReplyDelete