Monday, September 13, 2010

Renovations

Well, we've been in the apartment for almost 9 months now so I guess it was time for some sprucing up. It all started with the refridgerator. A few months into living here I noticed that our fridge was gathering some sticky liquid at the bottom of it. It took me quite a while and lots of trips back and forth to to the sink with a sponge, but I got all the gross stuff cleaned up. It happened again about a month later and I did it again. The third time I happened I told my roommate to tell the landlords because I wasn't doing it again. They had someone come over and unblock the drainage hose. They also deposited a different fridge in front of our door, so we had that as a welcome mat for a few months. Well, about 3 weeks ago I noticed the liquidy concoction at the bottom of the fridge again. There was no way I was cleaning it again, so I told my roommate to tell the landlords again. (note: I could have talked to the landlords myself, but he talks to them more) The next day I came home from work to a fridge in the middle of the kitchen and a new (to us) fridge in the old one's place. I proceeded to empty out the old fridge into the new (to us) fridge. Whew.
Last Friday I came home for lunch like I always do and went to get my leftovers out of the fridge. I pulled out the tupperware and was looking for something else when I grabbed a tonic water can to move it (you know what that goes with!). I moved the can and grabbed what I wanted and closed the door. Then my brain caught up with my actions. Why wasn't the can cold? I opened the freezer door. Melted ice. Not a good sign. So, I ventured over to the landlords to tell them our fridge was broken. He sent someone right over who promptly declared the appliance dead. Right. I gathered the important stuff (cheese, sour cream, butter) and headed back over to put it in the landlords fridge. Upon returning from work we once again had one fridge in the middle of the kitchen and one where the old one used to be. I was hoping for a fridge made in the last two decades, but I was denied. We now have another new (to us) fridge.
In the process of all of this, our landlords either decided to clean out their house or decided to renovate the apartment to charge more for rent to the next inhabitants, because our landlord came over and told us he was installing a dish washer and a clothes washer and raising the rent 100 euro. Interesting developments. I would have voted for an oven above both of those things, but turns out that I'm only gonna be here for 3 more months, so do what you will.
Apparently that was only the tip of the iceberg. Yesterday while walking up the stairs, I saw through a door that is never open a small desk. I went over and asked if I could move the desk up to my room. My chambermate and I have been "sharing" a desk for the entire time. I decided maybe it'd be fun to have my own! Yay! New space for me on my side of the room. But, that little did I know that we'd have more furniture additions. I came home from work today and we had a new couch, a new dining room table and two new tables in our room. We went from very little furniture to awkwardly placed furniture, so we had to do some rearranging. We took the table that was on my side of the room and put it in the kitchen so now we have a little table for two in the kitchen, which is awesome because previously there was nowhere to eat in the kitchen. This posed a problem when people in both big rooms were sleeping and one person wanted to eat. I had to eat standing at the counter many a times. We moved our buffet like thing to the living room because it just fit better there. I'm quite happy with the new place, we'll see how getting a washer and dishwasher goes. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment: