Thursday, July 29, 2010

P U

I am stunned to announce that I have finally finished the stick of deodorant that I brought over with me in January. Ha. I'm not sure that you will find this as amazing as I do, but it brought to mind a very interesting observation of American females living in France. I know 2 other American females living in France and all 3 of us had to get deodorant brought over from the US. Now sure, this might just be a case of us being picky about our brand preferences, and make no mistake, the French (contrary to some false stereotypes) do use deodorant and sell it at the supermarket, the problem is that these deodorants are very different than the ones we are used to.
The most noticeable difference is that aerosol deodorant is much more popular here. So while there are lots of choices, there are very few solid deodorant options. I can't say I know one American female that uses aerosol. Also, there is some very strange marketing on the deodorants here. One of them distinctly says, "48-hour use". Ok, to dispel a very common French stereotype, most people here do shower every day. But, if this is truly the case, then why the need for a 48-hour deodorant? While I'm confident in the composition of the ingredients that make this long-lasting deodorant, it does, in fact, scare me that this would be a luring marketing ploy. Thankfully, I have a backup ready and waiting in the wings and since the first one lasted me...oh 6 1/2 months and I have less than 5 months left, I think I'm good. So fresh and so clean clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment