Sunday, October 10, 2010

Culinary Adventures

With the 9 to 5 comes less traveling, so I have been having adventures in the kitchen. I have tried to make some things that are from home that I just never make, and some things are inspired by purchases at the market. My first adventure recently was Roast Beef and potatoes and carrots. It was delightful.
The next thing I tried was making Veal. The French eat quite a bit of veal and it is sold in the grocery stores, so I looked up a recipe online and came across Osso Bucco. It had too much parsley (probably should have added less because it was fresh. Oh well. Also decided veal isn't my favorite cut of meat. Next up was the making of white fish. I picked a random filet at the market and got some Romanesco, which is a mix between cauliflower and broccoli. It came out great.
Beef was the next meat of choice and the veggie was orange cauliflower. It didn't taste a whole lot different than normal cauliflower, just more fun to look at. The beef was great too. As we have gotten closer to fall, the new veggies have started coming out. I tried Leek and Potato soup and was pretty bored with the flavors. I attempted Pumpkin soup and had a knife skills lapse and almost cut my finger off while peeling the pumpkin. No worries, it is healing ok. The soup was interesting, but just ok. Last weekend I tried a different random white fish from the market, and it was also quite perfect with spinach and a hefty baguette. I think I have conquered my fear of cooking fish. Score! Finally tonight I made pulled pork for dinner. I wasn't sure how it was going to come out because I didn't find pork shoulder here. I asked two butchers and neither had it, so I used a different cut. It worked magnificently. Aside from the sauce being a bit "vinegary" (it was North Carolina style sauce) the meat was yummy and I will definitely try this one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment