Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sensitivities

One well-known difference between the US and the European countries is the way the countries deal with sexual references and the exposure of bodies. Sure everyone knows stories about nude beaches in some European countries and the rampant public displays of affection among couples of all types. Another place these differences appear very starkly is in advertisements. I came across an interesting example the other day. This ad was being run on bus stop marquees and on public information kiosks here in Clermont for the past month. I walked by the ad every single day, two different times on my way to work. The first time I saw it I was a bit shocked, but only because I'm American and an ad like this would never appear in public. Think I'm wrong? Last weekend, a friend from America who was visiting left me some of the magazines she had brought to read on the flight over. As I was leafing through the magazine, the exact same ad appeared. The exact same, plus an essential difference enabling it to be run in American magazines.
Interesting is it not? I have no idea if they just photoshopped Keira's shirt on and off or how they did it, but they did. I assume they had to. It makes me wonder though if it is because of actual laws in the US or if it is because of consumer perceptions and inhitibitions. Such quandries living in another culture brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment