Monday, October 4, 2010

Museum!

Sunday afternoon I decided to be a bit of a tourist in my own city. I live approximately 436 steps from two different museums. (No, I didn't count, I'm just approximating) One of the museums I see all the time when I'm coming home from being out and about in the city. There have been people hanging out there for the past 8 months and it looks like a pretty small place, so I did some investigation and decided to head out and see their stuff this past Sunday. Well I checked online and found out that they opened at 2pm on Sunday. After walking up there I realized that the whole time I had been looking up a different museum. Oops. So I walked on by the place and saw a sign for the Musee Le Coq, which was the one I'd be looking at on the internet. Thankfully it was just about 78 more steps from the first one and back in the direction of my place, so it would have been only 358 steps if I would have come the right way the first time. Anyhow, entry to the museum was free and upon entry I found out that it is a Natural History museum. Don't remember what that means from your 3rd grade field trips? Let me help. This place had stuffed animals all over the place followed by rooms full of rocks and minerals. As I live in a particularly interesting part of France, being that I live on volcanic soil, there are lots of neato formations that were found right under my feet! Well, not literally, but you get the point. There was also a room devoted to how man used plants throughout the years. You know, important things like farming, painting, chocolate, etc... One small note I did realize while in this museum was that while all the descriptions sure were in French, I'm not sure it matters in a museum of this sort because everything is pretty much in another language anyway what with all the scientific names and descriptions and such. I spent about an hour at the museum. It isn't very big, but a nice little educational outing and at least I can say I've been to a museum in Clermont. 
Sadly, I came home and looked up the other museum (uh hmm, the one I thought was the museum I was going to originally) and found out that the other one is now closed til November of next year for renovations. Huh, looks like I missed my opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment