Friday, June 25, 2010

Ask and you might receive!

As I mentioned in an earlier post about Grenoble, I was going to stay the night there on my own accord and then decided to change my ticket and leave that evening on the last train out of town. After I boarded the train though, we sat there for 20 minutes not leaving before a lady came on and said our train was cancelled. After asking some questions I realized that I wouldn't be able to get back to Clermont that night, so I was going to have to spend the night somewhere. Well, not being very happy about this, I asked the lady re-issuing my ticket if the train company provided any assistance to people who had to stay over night because of the cancelled train. I really expected the lady to tell me no, but she directed me to the head train conductor. After hesitantly knocking on his door and telling him my story, he took my tickets (the one that showed I took the train into town that morning and the one of the train that was cancelled) and faxed them to his boss. Five minutes later he had the ok to give me a hotel room on the company that night! WOOT! If I was going to pay for a place that night I was going to stay at a hostel that would have been just a bunk bed for about 30 euro. Instead I ended up staying in a 2-star hotel for 67 euro on SNCF. Sure I felt a little guilty that I was debating staying anyway, but really I did want to be home and not have to spend another day mostly on trains, so it worked out. I got to enjoy more of Grenoble and sleep like a rock in a nice, clean room,

No comments:

Post a Comment