Sunday, June 13, 2010

Big 12 Shakeup

One of the things about being abroad is that the news, whether sports related or not, is harder to come by over here. The sports stuff is particularly more difficult. The big world stories are of course on the tv so they diffuse much more quickly. But seeing as we don't have a tv, and the French don't particularly give 2 carrots about what happens in college athletics in the US, we have to rely on ESPN and our lovely friends to give us the dirty details of what is happening.
This whole thing with the Big 12 has been really just plain annoying for me. It has sparked many a conversation between the Americans over here and most of us are just confused as to what is going on, beyond the point that it is just all about the money. Talked to my dad and he says it is funny that the ADs are trying to say it is about other things, but let's be serious: no one cares about rivalires, school traditions, school pride or how far the fan base and student athletes have to travel if there is a large chunk of money involved: money I'm that I'm sure will be used for better academic facilites and to help the students become better educated...right.
Sadly I'm becoming quite disillusioned with college sports in general. I know this is hard to believe as I used to be so die-hard. I mean I got up in the middle of the night to watch basketball games,but being over here really has made it evident that just because I can't watch every game, there will always be highlights and box scores and ways to find out what happened.
This whole thing with the Big 12 makes me mad and sad and really bummed out. I'm sure some of that is resistance to change, and some stems from the fact that the Jayhawks aren't going to a power conference, but mostly I think because it is an affirmation that for so many people, everything sure is all about the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment