Sunday, June 13, 2010

Camaraderie

One of the interesting parts of being a minority in another place is the delight upon meeting someone like you. In this instance I speak of watching the World Cup game between the US and England. We went to a bar that has really big tvs (an odditiy in itself here) and sat down a bit early to get ready for the games. A little while before the game I started to hear sprinklings of English. It is amazing to me that being surrounded by French all the time really makes me cognizant of when people are speaking English because I actually know what is going on around me! For me to understand French I have to pay attention and concentrate, for English obviously it just floats into my head. But I digress...As the bar filled up more and more for the game we realized there were really a lot of people speaking English, both British and American. Turns out there was a table of about 16 people next to us that worked for Michelin and were from various English speaking countries. It was fun watching the game with them because for each exciting play there were different screams and shouts. The tie was a little anti-climactic, but it was fun to watch in a bar that was a little like being in a bar back in the good old US of A.

No comments:

Post a Comment