Friday, July 9, 2010

Men's Fashion

This post has been festering for a very long time. I have finally decided that this is the right time to write it, as the appearance of mansacs and capris has increased rapidly with the change in temperatures.
These two aspects of men's fashion in Europe would simply not fly back in the US. They just aren't really acceptable. I'm not sure what that is so much, sure it probably has something to do with European men being much more in-tune with their feminine sides or something of the sort. Sadly, the appearance of mansacs and capris still baffles us Americans when we see these fashion features appearing around us in bars and on the street.
Why exactly is it necessary for men to carry "purses" here? Sure they won't call them purses, but let's call the sky blue when it is blue. My roommate keeps wondering out loud what really could be in their mansac. I, of course, argue that they carry in their mansacs the same things we (women) carry in our purses. You know, phone, wallet, keys, kleenex, chapstick, etc etc... My roommate doesn't buy it. She demands that they only need to carry their wallet (back pocket), phone (front pocket) and keys (other front pocket). Having not carried a purse for the better part of my life, this can be quite weighty on the pockets and then you have to rearrange things from digging into one's thigh when you sit down. (I'm just sayin)
Really I think the difference here is that they don't wear cargo anything. Guys at home wear more cargo shorts or cargo pants so they have more room to store things without mansacs. Also, the identification cards here are much bigger than in the US, leading to bigger wallets. Random right? But true piece of random trivia. I tried to find the dimensions, but google isn't helping me out, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
I can't defend the capris really though. I mean sure I ask myself why I wear capris more than shorts, but mostly it is because I hate the way shorts are made for women. Most of them are too short for me. So, I resort to wearing capris. For guys? Sure, there are some men who wear short shorts, but usually they are made to hit more at the top of the knee, so why capris are necessary I don't really understand. Maybe everyone just wants to channel their inner Rafa Nadal. (don't know? .... he's a tennis player from Spain who wears capris a lot)
One thing I know for sure is that these men's fashion elements are not going away, so I might as well stop wondering. But I could start wondering if these trends will ever make it to the States...

No comments:

Post a Comment