Thursday, July 22, 2010

TV!

I have been at the house for a little over a week by myself and have spent a little time in front of the tv. Now, to be expected, the majority of the channels are in French, but there are a few channels that remind me of channel surfing at home. Mainly they consist of CNN, CNBC and E! Entertainment Network. As much as I like the news, there is only so much CNN I can take sometimes. CNBC is all just really boring to me, so that leaves E! as the fall back. I have to say that I haven't watched a lot of tv. Mainly I have been watching movies because the rest of French tv is just like tv at home. A whole lotta channels with not that much actually on. They do have channels based around cuisine, national geographic, home channel and then they have 3 National tv networks that really just share rights to everything. They are France 2, 3, & 4. These channels have the local news and compare pretty well to our national stations at home. They sometimes even show American tv series in English just with French subtitles. Sadly I only get 2 sports channels. Right now the Tour de France is on one of them during the day, but other than that the sports here consist of random rugby re-airings, under 19 world championships of soccer for both women and men, equestrian competitions and triathalons. Not exactly my constant dosage of sports that I'm used to at home, but it'll do for now. I'm hoping watching more tv in French all the time will help my comprehension...we'll see.
One of the most interesting differences between tv here and tv at home is that every time there is going to be commercials on, the tv station has to announce that publicity is following. It definitely takes some getting used to because I'll be watching a show and then all of a sudden there is a screen that says "PUB" on it. Thus, commercials to follow. Not sure why they need to announce it, I guess it is so we don't get confused that the commercials are entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment