Monday, April 26, 2010

Baking...

This weekend we were going over to some friends' place for dinner. These friends have an oven, so my roommate and I decided that we would make some chocolate chip cookies and brownies for dessert. Off to the store we went. It took us about 20 seconds to determine that the French don't bake a lot. Like I have said before, the baking stuff was in 3 different parts of the store and we had a difficult time deciphering if the brown sugar was actually brown sugar. We finally asked, and she said it was, so we bought it. We never did find baking soda, so we had to modify the recipe to what we had. The brownies I was making called for rum, but when I went to the local market, the only kind of rum they had was Malibu. Not gonna work, so I used water. Something highly amusing did happen though right before I started mixing everything. I was really tired, so decided to take a nap. I figured this nap would give the butter a great opportunity to soften, so I put it on the counter and went in to take about an hour nap. An hour later I return from my nap to find that my other roommate had put the butter back in the fridge! I wasn't amused at the time, but found it funny in hind-sight. This is only amusing because my dad used to do this to me all the time at home. Finally I had to start specially warning Dad NOT to put the butter away or he wasn't getting any treats.

Anyhow, I made the batter, it turned out yummy, but the cookies were another story. We had some fierce issues measuring. I just don't understand the measuring tactics here! Grams for everything, but 100g of sugar isn't the same as 100g of flour, meaning, sure you can weigh them and they will both be 100g, but you can't use a similar measuring cup. Somehow we made it work and they turned out pretty yummy. Our friends had no complaints.

1 comment:

  1. Weight is the way to go for measuring baking ingredients! Crystalline ingredients like sugar can be measured reliably by volume since they don't compress. Flour, is another beast. Depending on how you scoop, the weight can vary a lot -- and the weight is what matters.

    The baking soda is for leavening. It reacts with acidic ingredients and creates bubbles. If you end up in a snag again it won't be exactly the same, but you can use a carbonated beverage in place of the water to provide a similar effect.

    Sorry, I am a baking nerd. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete