Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thoughts on London

It feels like I visited London about 5 years ago, but it was only last weekend. Here are some thoughts on my trip:
- A ride on the underground in London costs 4 pounds!! That is astronomical. I went one stop and it cost me almost $6. If it weren't 11pm at night I would have walked. Ah the hassles of traveling alone.
- The first night I got a little lost trying to find my friend's place. He didn't have a cell phone yet, which led to me wandering around London until 1am when I found a hotel that I could use the internet. Moral of the story: I should have planned better, but am out of practice due to the ability to use cell phones
- The weather in London was spectacular and everyone was out and about. Londoners were telling me to enjoy the sun Saturday because it would be their "one day" of summer (they were wrong, it was nice on Sunday as well)
- Shows in London mostly don't run on Sunday, which I found odd, as I would think it is a big day for tourism. Seems to me they shouldn't run on Tuesday or something instead
- Speaking of shows, I had no idea that Andrew Lloyd Weber had a new show in London! Sadly I dind't have time to see it, but it is a sequel to Phantom. I need to read some reviews or something, but I really want to go back and see it.
- The Grand National horse race is crazy. We watched it with friends and I can't say that I thought it was all that humane. The track is about 4 miles long with tons of jumps for the 40 horses, if they fall and the jockey goes flying, oh well. Everyone else continues on.
- If you ever go to London and find yourself in the financial district, you should go to Smith's of Smitthfield. The breakfast was good and the place is pretty cool.
- Being back 8 years after living there was pretty crazy. Stuff was hazy, but I knew I had been there before!
- I like London more than Paris. Not really sure why, I think the way it is laid out is more condusive to enjoying the city. Plus they are better at mixing the old with the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment