Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Consumption

The stereotype is that Americans consume more than the rest of the world. We are a consumption society. We spend more money, have more choices and generally like to have bigger and better things that the rest of the world. I'm not sure I'll go that far and characterize us all this way, but I will tell you one thing, the beverage holders over here are a bit smaller than they are at home. Take for example your normal morning coffee. At home? There is big cup of coffee, here? a shot of expresso really. I don't drink coffee or I might have taken a picture of the difference for you, but I do drink water and here is the difference between what I carry around to drink water out of and what French students use when they are "thirsty".
I was at the water machine filling up my water bottle the other day and a girl came out next to me and was like "I'm so thirsty too" Then she saw what I was filling up and she was like "whoa, you have a lot of water". Uh huh. She filled up her little cup and drank about two notches worth and took the rest back into the classroom to save for later. Are you kidding me? When I forgot my water bottle one day I had to stand at the water machine and have about 4 shots before I actually felt satiated. Come on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment