Friday, April 23, 2010

Driving on the Right!

Driving on the wrong side of the road was quite a task. I was driving a manual shift, but thankfully the clutch is still on the left and the gas on the right. The gear shift is the same as at home, meaning first gear is still on the top left, and 5th gear on the top right. Shifting with the left hand is a little more difficult though and many times I tried to start in 3rd gear because I hadn't made it all the way over to 1st. Oops. Also, the very first thing the guy told me was I had to push the gear shift down to get it into reverse. Good thing he told me because I would have been going forward all the time while trying to get in reverse. Navigating while driving is a whole nother story. I really prefer to drive in places I have never been with another person in the passenger seat navigating. Also, while I was driving behind people there wasn't much of a problem figuring out which way to go, but boy let me tell you, when I had to figure out what side to drive on without people to follow it took some serious thinking. I'm a smart girl, but whoa. Then pulling into parking lots and such was pretty confusing as well. Thankfully by the end of the week I had figured it out. Just in time to drive into Center City Dublin and get lost and drive around for an hour and a half trying to find the car rental place. Not as much fun, but I did get to see lots of Dublin by car!

No comments:

Post a Comment