Friday, April 23, 2010

Thoughts on Western Ireland

I flew from London to Shannon Ireland. I picked up a rental car that I would have for the week and drove up to a friend's place in Galway, Ireland. From there we visited a little down called Doolin, another called LaHinch and drove through many other great Irish towns on the way. There were quite a few intricacies of Ireland learned on this little adventure.
- One of the best parts of Galway was having the fish and chips from my friend's chipper. They were perfectly yummy and everything I have been thinking about for 2 months :-)
- The weather the whole time I was in Ireland was impeccable. Everyone asked me before I went ...WHY are you going to Ireland in April, it is going to rain the whole time? Oh really, I say. It didn't rain once the whole time I was there. Not a drop. But I did get a tanned face.
- I stayed with friends who have to heat their water before using hot water. How crazy is that? It isn't like they live in a 16th century place or something either. Their place was built not that long ago, but each time they want hot water they have to heat it and wait.
- I had cottage pie in one of the towns. Cottage pie for those of you that don't know is minced beef with vegetables covered with mashed potatoes and then baked. While this was spectacularly yummy, the real interesting part of the meal was that it was served with French Fries (chips). Yes, you read that correctly. I had a dish that is topped completely with mashed potatoes that was served with Chips. It is Ireland, they do love their potatoes. and frankly, so do I.
- Power plugs in Ireland have switches on them that must be turned on and off to use the power. I have no idea why, but you cannot just plug something into an outlet and have it work, the outlet must be switched on.
- One very dangerous part of being in a country where people drive on the other side of the road is that when you are a pedestrian, you have to remember to look the opposite way before crossing the street or you'll get plowed.
- the friends I stay with smoke, while this is neither here nor there, what I found interesting was that cigarettes are 7.75euro a pack. whoa nelly. Just another reason I'm glad I don't smoke.

on to the Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher

No comments:

Post a Comment