Monday, May 3, 2010

Ah the Metric System

While we were in Paris, we stumbled upon an outdoor market where everything vegetable, fruit, cheese, bread and meat was being sold. There were also flowers and honey and jewelry and the like. That day we decided to pick things up to have a picnic wherever our little hearts desired so my dad told me to order a kilo of salami from the butcher. I thought a kilo sounded like a bit much, but I don’t really know how to convert in this stupid system, and I usually just buy things at the store that are already packaged so that I don’t have to order by weight. I questioned my dad and he said, yes a kilo would be good. Ok, whatever you say. I ask the butcher for a kilo of salami. He says to me, “You want a whole kilo?” I said yes. His questioning me again should have been my clue that I didn’t, in fact, want a whole kilo. Thankfully my dad was watching him cut the slices and told me to have him stop at a certain point. Turns out we had him stop at .3 of a kilo, which was perfect. Only then did it register that I weigh 62 kilos, so getting 1/62 of my body weight in salami would have been a lot, even for 7 people. At this point my dad reviewed his conversions and came to the conclusion that 1 kilo was in fact 2 pounds, instead of the ½ pound as he had originally thought. We ate all the salami, but barely. Good thing my dad was paying attention.

1 comment: