Thursday, May 27, 2010

Arriving?

Today the Italians left and I thought I'd share with you our little joke we have with them. So as native English speakers know, when you are going to meet someone and they call you, let's say as you are on the way to meet them, many times, the answer to the question "Where are you?" is "I'm coming", meaning you are on your way or will be there in a few minutes. In French, the way to say "I'm coming" is to say "J'arrive". Literally translated obviously to "I arrive". The funny part is that when the Italians literally translate this statement they always say, "I'm arriving". We call and ask them, where are you? They answer, we're arriving. In the beginning, we thought, oh good, they're arriving, they'll be walking in the door in a minute. Nope. "I'm arriving", means, "I'm on my way" which can literally take an hour or more. We found out pretty quickly that if an Italian tells you that he's "arriving", really he won't be there for another 30 minutes or so. So my roommate and I have taken to repeating this back to the Italians, and even using it ourselves. I'm fair warning you, if you meet a French or Italian and they tell you "they're arriving" really it means that they are on their way, not walking in the door. So...when am I headed back to the states? I'm arriving...

No comments:

Post a Comment