Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nice

Our resting spot for Sunday night was Nice. We arrived a little later than anticipated, but thanks to expert navigation found our street pretty quickly. We parked the car and walked longer than I thought we would have to, but it was ok because the car was parked in a better part of our town than our hostel was located in. I felt like I was back in Morocco with all the people loitering on the street. The hostel was nice though and we had our own room with a bathroom. We walked down to the seaside and walked along the boardwalk. We tried to go up to this chateau looking thing up on the hill, but it had already closed for the night, so instead we watched the pre-sunset sky for a bit before heading to dinner. The dinner in Nice was by far the best of the trip. We randomly picked a place called Chez Freddy, but I knew we were in good shape when a local man sat down next to us with his friend. Locals don't eat at crappy places. We all got the menu, which included an entree, a plat and a dessert. For my entree I had the Pistou Nicoise, which is vegetable soup that was delightful. My main plate was St. Pierre with green beans and rice with a creamy butter sauce. Ah....Interesting fact, the St. Pierre is called John Dory in English, but as my neighbor explained, they don't have it in the states. Strange huh? Here I thought we had most things in the states. This is one fish we don't have and I'm going to wish we did. It was yummy. For dessert I ordered a random dessert that I knew nothing about. It is called Ile Flottant. It was essentially meringue in a vanilla sauce. Woo! All that consumed with half a bottle of rose wine was simply scrumptious.
We walked back through the main plaza in Nice that I couldn't tell you the name of if I thought for 100 hours. I don't think I ever knew. I could look it up, but then I'd be acting like I knew, that would be deceptive. The square was pretty though, with lit up fountains and lots of people. Sadly I slept horribly that night due to the street cleaners power washing the street at 3am. Right. Lovely city though, from my 14-hour experience there.

No comments:

Post a Comment