Monday, May 3, 2010

French in Paris?

I’d love for someone to tell me the number of Americans in Paris on a given day. The number has to be huge and to compensate, when one visits Paris it really isn’t even necessary to know how to speak French, and if you do, might as well not try to use it because most people will not speak it back! I get it, I’m American and my French isn’t great, but I know enough to ask you questions in it, so it’d be great if you answered me in it! If I can’t understand what you are saying, don’t you worry your French self, I’ll ask for clarification. The lady at the Hilton that checked me in was the only one I encountered that continued to speak French to me after I spoke it to her. I think hotels should suggest that if people address their staff in French, the staff should try to reply in simple French. Some people spend a significant amount of time trying to learn the language and hear constantly that the best way to learn it is to practice it, but can’t because as soon as service people learn that a person is native non-French speaking they switch to English. I’m sure many Americans that can’t speak a lick of French appreciate this, but for those of us that really would like to try and converse in a language we spent hours trying to learn, humor us. Merci beaucoup.

No comments:

Post a Comment