Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Marseille

Saturday morning we awoke and left the hostel to drive to Marseille. I had already been to Marseille, but my traveling companions had not, so we made an afternoon stop in the city. The main objective was to see the huge cathedral on the hill and experience some Bouillabaisse (famous fish soup from the region). First stop was lunch. We walked through the morning market on the way to the other side of the port and I saw a really funky flower in one of the flower vendors bouquets. It is the yellow one...how interesting is that?
We selected a place for lunch and unfortunately experienced a truly French lunch, meaning it took us about an hour and a half to eat lunch. About an hour longer than we wanted to spend. Our fault though, sometimes picking a place to eat is just difficult. I did try the fish soup, but it wasn't as good as advertised. I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't eat one that cost 28 euro or more. I think with this kind of thing, going for the less-pricy option wasn't a good selection. It tasted, well, like fish. I like fish a lot, but I don't like the fishy fish taste of fish a lot. I vow next time to splurge and get the real deal. I'm going to need to do some serious research before-hand though. 30 euro on one plate of food is out of my league. We did make it up to the cathedral (Notre Dame de la Garde) after quite a hike and I once again excperienced it's awe. It was definitely worth the stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment