Wednesday, May 26, 2010

St. Cyr sur Mer

Continuing on from Marseille on Saturday we made it to our destination for that night. St. Cyr sur Mer. Little beknownest to us, the weekend was another holiday weekend, so the little places along the coasts were packed with vacationers. We were going to stay in Cassis, but couldn't find room, but one of my traveling mates found a great apartment for rent that was literally 500 ft from the beach. It was fully stocked with a kitchen and everything for only 20 euro per person! Sign me up. We got into town and went to the little store across the street and bought supplies for dinner and then headed to the beach to enjoy the sun and sand...er...rocks. I was expecting more sandy beaches, but soon discovered that the beaches on the Cote d'Azur are very rocky. Those of you that know me well, know that I absolutely hate sand, so the rockiness was actually ok with me, but not all that comfortable to sit on. We found a sandy spot and some friends got in the water, while I laid on the blanket and read and napped. Ah....relaxation. I did walk down and put my toes in the water and observe these little sea creatures that washed up on the shore. They were bright blue! Funny little guys. When we finally decided to head back to the apartment because it was getting a little cold we realized very few people were left on the beach. Must be dinner time! We made spaghetti with veggies and bacon and drank rose wine because that is what you do when you're in the south of France. Drink the rose wine that is, because it is the wine of those regions. It was perfect. Light and not too sweet. A great way to end a day of fun. We almost missed the sunset, but I realized it was setting just in time so we ran out and enjoyed the final minutes of daylight in the day and got some ice cream on the boardwalk. We took a walk and sat on some huge rocks on an inlet into the sea. Day two was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment