Friday, February 26, 2010

Best Place to Live?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/02/11/france.quality.life/index.html?hpt=T

I obviously have only been here for 2 months, and I'm no authority, but I think that 60% of people would have a difficult time living here if they are used to the way things are run in the US. Whether you think you like the States or not, it is just very very different here. Sure, most people could live here after getting used to the way things are run, but it takes quite a bit of patience. I suppose after all the bureaucratic inital stuff is gone, then most of the time you wouldn't have to deal with governmental stuff, but you'd still have to pay taxes and such.
Here is a small example of the bureaucracy. To be in France for a year, I have to get a long-stay visa. Before I came, I got a visa, but upon getting here I have to fill out a form and send it to the government. They send me a packet of stuff 10 days later. This packed includes a request for a medical appointment to get a chest x-ray to make sure I don't have TB. Even though I'm already here, and have been for 2 months. No matter. I have to get an appointment with a government doctor for this x-ray and check-up. Then I have to go to the government building for an appointment and turn all this stuff in, along with the "tax" I have to pay. Then they can send me my long-stay visa. After I get that, I need to apply for the CAF, which is the money the government pays people for living here. (I have no idea how it works, or why, I just go with it). Then I send in that form. They verify I live here and in what type of housing, with how many people, etc...They then give me money BACK for having lived here since January. Why I pay a tax, just to get money back is beyond me, but my checklist of appointments, forms and payments is made. Now just have to find a time when each of these places is open to make all this happen. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment