Monday, February 22, 2010

Thoughts on Marseille

- I walked for probably 3 hours total while I was in this city. I was sore from walking so much. Up and down a huge hill to the Cathedrale Notre Dame de la Garde, and traversed a good amount of the city on foot.
- I also ate the best baguette I have had in France here. It was mostly because it had literally just come out of the oven, was straight off the oven rack in fact, so it was warm and soft and amazing.
- There were so many restaurants in this city I was flabbergasted. Essentially every store front lining the port was a restaurant. I should have tried the fish soup, which is the specialty of the city, but didn’t get a chance. I guess I’ll have to go back.
- Old European cities are dominated by churches. In this city alone on a Sunday morning I visited 5. All catholic, all huge, all impressive.
- Inexpensive, but decent, hotels are hard to come by. Apparently a hole in the ground is a sufficient “toilet” for lots of people. I’m not one of those people. I have never been anywhere before that I have been instructed to look at the room before deciding whether to stay or not. It is amazing what I take for granted sometimes.
- France has some amazing countryside and boy oh boy do they make you pay for it with the tolls. Don’t even blink if you spend 30 euro driving in one section across the country. At least they have nice roads to show for it.
- We drove 4 hours, with 7 people in the car without stopping on the way home. That’s what 10 days on vacation does to people.
- I find it really strange to be “home” in the middle of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment