Monday, February 22, 2010

Thoughts on Lyon

So as most of you know, I just returned from a 10-day vacation. It would be absolutely impossible for me to write an interesting blog detailing everything I did on said vacation, so I’m going to spend the week blogging about each city I visited and my random observations from the respective city. We begin with Lyon.
- Mother Nature gave us 8 inches of snow to trudge through to reach the train station in Clermont on our first day. She also gave us frigid temperatures and piercing winds in Lyon. She’s so sweet.
- Our hostel was at the top of an enormous hill with a great view. Not so great was the advertised price of 18 euro only being true if you had an “International Hostel” card, which cost 15 euro to obtain. Grr.
- Random musing from our night in Lyon. Why do churches/cathedrals/places of worship have such huge doors that no one uses? Quite a quandary.
- I ate salmon at a restaurant for the first time in forever. My other choices were basically flank steak, mussles, or oysters. Slam dunk. Not all that bad either. It was grilled on a skewer. The chocolate fondue for dessert was even better.
- EasyJet sucks. I will avoid them at all costs if possible. Ok, maybe not all costs, but they’re gonna have to be darn convincing. Our flight out of Lyon to Madrid got cancelled. No fault of their own. The fault came when the agent changed our flight and rendered it impossible for us to obtain our rightful full refund, which ended up costing us about 50 euro more, making a car rental and drive to Paris at 8pm necessary and causing me to get about 4 hours of sleep on the first night of vacation. Not happy. EasyJet will hear about it. And they better give me my money back.
- It would be great if Lyon could do a better job of informing people that the “airport shuttle” doesn’t really pick up everywhere the map says it does. I’m just saying, if it says it five different places and you get there and there’s no bus, people might be a little perturbed.

*You’ll note that there seems to be a lot of complaining in Lyon. I wouldn’t say it was the greatest day on the vacation. Not a horrible time, just lots of cold, frustration and lack of sleep. It gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment