Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soldes

Shopping in France is slightly different two times of the year. January and July. Why you ask? Because these are the two time periods where the government lets the stores have sales. From what I understand, otherwise the stores are not able to mark products down. This means that obviously during this time there are a lot of people looking for good deals.

The soldes ended yesterday, and as we got closer to the end, the percentages marked off just kept going up. I went shopping a few times and never bought anything, mostly because I didn't need anything and a little because I couldn't find what I was looking for (black boots). I don't know why people would buy stuff at other times of year unless they are in desperate need, but I have to imagine the stores make a pretty penny in these months. I did think it was interesting though that January seems to be the month that people take off. So, I was surprised the stores have sales when sometimes they aren't open. But maybe that is why the sales went into the first week of Feb. At any rate, now if I need to buy something, at least I know it won't be on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment