Friday, February 5, 2010

Short Films

This town I am living in isn't famous for much, but what it is known for is its short film festival. Today we went to a session of the festival because we didn't have class. The line to get in was incredibly long, but everyone got in and got seats. We bought tickets there for 3 euro which entitled us to see 6 films. The films are from all over the world, so we saw one from Brazil, Iran, Canada, Scotland, Russia and Hong Kong. Very interesting really. They ranged in time from 9 min to 26 minutes and from depressing stuff such as suicide to funny stuff such as an animated train running awry on a mountain. I have a problem with movies though, in that they make me want to fall asleep. I was completely fine going into the session, but about half way through I could have taken a nap. And no, it had nothing to do with the movies, although I have noticed that short films are much more about thought-provoking subjects than full-out movies are. We are thinking about trying to go to another session of the festival because two of the locations are literally a 4 minute walk from where we live. There are definitely more people out and about walking around too. It is such an interesting event for a little town in the middle of France to put on, but there are prizes and everything for the best pieces. Good thing I didn't miss taking part in the only real signifacant tourist attraction my city has!

No comments:

Post a Comment