Sunday, February 28, 2010

Citing

Tomorrow I have to turn in a big paper from a group project that my group (3 French and 2 Americans) completed. We got the assignment and split up the work into 5 parts. Each part was pretty equally distributed and we went our merry ways until two days later when we were going to put the work together. When we met again, the French students had lots of information. They are super good and going back and using information from previous classes. We had PESTEL methodology for external analysis, we had Porter's 5 Forces, we had charts and graphs galore. What we didn't have? Any citations. I have written quite a few papers in my life and never have I turned in anything without citing the information contained in the paper. Here, I guess it is just different. There is a lot of copying and pasting going on that just doesn't get attributed at all. Very strange for us of course, who have to sign honor codes before we are even accepted to graduate schools that say we will not plagarize or paraphrase in any way, shape or form, AND if we do? We get kicked out of school. I'm not sure really why it is this way, haven't had the in-depth discussion with anyone about it because I don't want to accuse someone of being dishonest or anything, I just have to assume that they have never been taught differnetly. I'm sure it can't go on everywhere though right? Or does everyone just know it and assume nothing is original. I have no idea, it, like many things, will be an evolving mystery...

No comments:

Post a Comment