Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sirens!

While walking home for lunch today at noon, a siren went off. For those in Kansas, it sounds a lot like a tornado siren. Then I remembered that a French student had told me that sirens go off on the first Wednesday of every month at noon. The same sirens that were used to warn of air raids during World War II. She said they are still tested just in case. My first thought was in case of what?!?!
I read up on it on wikipedia (I know, I know, not exactly the Harvard review, but it was easy) and it says that the sirens are used now for multiple reasons in different countries. Sometimes in the event of nuclear emergencies as well.
Anyway, I'm not sure I would like having warning sirens that were the same ones that were used to warn you of air raids in a World War being used "just to be tested". Seems like the memories triggered for some people by these sirens wouldn't be so pleasant. I don't think I'll ever hear tornado sirens again without thinking of the same sirens here.

No comments:

Post a Comment