Monday, February 22, 2010

Thoughts on Madrid

- Ended up in Madrid for an extra night because we missed our connection to Salamanca, where we were supposed to spend the weekend.
- Random note on traveling to Madrid. It was my brother’s birthday and while I was sitting on the airplane waiting for people to finish boarding, the song over the sound system was a song he plays on the piano all the time at home. Made me smile.
- First thing I see when I exit the subway? A Chicago the Musical marquee. Sometimes I love getting to a city and taking the subway to the middle of the city and coming out of the subway the first time to see a city. It is almost better than entering a city from above ground, such a thrill and rush of adrenaline, not knowing what to expect.
- First time I have ever stayed in a hostel with 5 random people in the same room. All guys, probably under 22. No fun stories, just one night due to the missed flight.
- The Spanish smoke A TON. Maybe more noticeable because people can still smoke inside in Spain, but boy was it smoky. Made me miss France and their no smoking inside laws!
- Had an experience trying to buy a pastry. The sign said the pastry I wanted and a cafĂ© (coffee) for 2.90. I figured just the pastry would be less. It was 5.30. I have to imagine she misunderstood me, but I decided against paying 5.30 for it. And I don’t drink coffee, so I left and found another place.
- Wait staff in restaurants in Spain aren’t very nice.
- The Prado museum lets people in for free on Sunday evenings from 5-8. There’s a huge line. We got in and saw all the good stuff though.
- Happy Valentine’s Day…oh you aren’t ordering off the fixed price menu at the sushi place? You get to sit in the basement alone. Just like our own private dinner. Nice. Thanks.
- It snows in Madrid too. Yup. Good thing we had all inside stuff planned for our last day. Got into the Reina Sophia for free cause we’re students (yeah, so what I’m 28. They don’t know that)
- Never in my life have I been to a European Cathedral that is so new. The colors were amazing. It was finished in 1993. Seems like that just isn’t right. New? In Europe? Come on.
- I thought tortillas were flat round things you eat fajitas and burritos in. Apparently a tortilla Espanola is a yummy potato and cheese quichy-like thing that is all together delicious.
- We met some Brits who were snockered at dinner. Someone said something funny and instead of saying “That’s what she said” like the phrase goes…he busted out “She said that.” In the most British of accents. I can’t help you with the way he said it, I dunno, just think of the Queen of England saying “She said that” all properish. It was hi-larious.
- Sangria is yummy. Enough said.
- Women, especially old ones, wear lots of fur in Madrid. PETA would not be happy.
- We waited in the cold for a parade for 1 ½ hours with an older woman (probably wearing fur) literally breathing down my neck and I think she had her knee cap in the notch of my bent knee as well. There was lots of room. I guess she was just cold and wanted to be real close. Also 2 minutes before said parade 3 little people found their way in front of us. Their parents were all “oh, can you let them stand there”…meanwhile I’m thinking, how about you get here before 2 minutes before and get a place. (reminder…I was cold, and had been waiting for 1 ½ hours. I like kids, really I do)
- I don’t know much Spanish. Would have been helpful to have a dictionary while here, but we made it through. Made me appreciate how much French I know though!
- Last note on Madrid. Saw some graffiti that said “GO KATE”. Rock on Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment