Saturday, February 27, 2010

New Book

I have started reading Julia Child's memoir about living in France: My Life in France. It is fantastically fun to read, especially being here. I'm enjoying it so far, but the best line of the book yet is: "It's easy to get the feeling that you know the language just because when you order a beer they don't bring you oysters." I laughed out loud when I read the line. While my French really is getting better and I'm trying to make myself speak it more, a lot of times, a few words get me a long way, and there are not complete sentences that make sense. It really is amazing how much one can get done without saying anything. Plus, everyone speaks English, so most of the time we are approached in English. Ugh. I'm glad it is my first language though!

No comments:

Post a Comment