Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Crepes!

Last night, in honor of a friend's birthday, we attempted making crepes at our apartment for the first time. I found an easy recipe online, after first finding one in metric quantities, I then found one in standard measurements. While I have no measuring cups, I am a heck of a lot better at guessing quantities in standard measurements than I am in metric. So on we went. Thankfully we had everything we needed. I had heard from a Frenchman who was making crepes at a party we went to previously to make the batter a few hours early and let it refridgerate. I did that and when we were finished with dinner, we busted out the crepe pan we have and oiled it up.
With care, my roommate ladeled on the first spoonful of batter into the pan and spread it around. When she tried to loosen it up to flip the crepe...it didn't budge. We concluded that either the pan's sticky factor was too high or the heat wasn't high enough. We tried again with no success. So I busted out the skillet we bought a few weeks ago that still had ample teflon on it and tried that. Worked like a charm. We got 5 good crepes out of the batch (it was only supposed to make 8) so I think it was quite a success. We set them on the table with all the options of toppings: nutella, peanut butter, strawberry jam, butter, cinnamon and sugar and vanilla ice cream. I'd say dessert was quite a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment