Thursday, February 4, 2010

Drowning in r's

I have serious issues being able to speak French. It is amazing really, that I can have taken so many classes in it and have no ability to speak coherently in the language. I can understand it, I can decently read it, just can't speak it. Thankfully we have met some very nice French who are willing to listen to me take 5 minutes to say a single sentence, but it is the most frustrating thing about being here by far. I also am lucky that I have roommates that speak the language well. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if I had to do everything with the apartment.
Another frustrating part is that I take a long time to formulate the correct way to say something, then I say it and the person responds in a few seconds and usually asks a question or tries to continue the conversation, but it takes me another long amount of time to find the correct words. Ugh.
The accent used is definitely the worst. I have problems saying the r's. I tried to avoid words with letter r, but that didn't seem to work. ha. So, now, I just corrected every time I try to say the letter. It is ok, and good to know when I should be saying it differently, but I'm probably going to talk significantly less here than I do at home, which I know most of you are thinking is a very good thing. :-)
French language classes start tonight though, so let's hope they help.

No comments:

Post a Comment