Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ms

While there are obviously some really huge differences between France and the States, there are some really subtle differences as well, that don't cause any kind of difficulty or confusion, they are just differences I notice. One of these things is the way students (who then grow up to be professors, writers, etc..) are taught to write their capital M. I'm not positive if it is the same for the small m as it is harder to notice, but I definitely notice it on the big M.
In the states, to write a big M, we start at the top left and make a downstroke, followed by making the two humps. You following?
In France (apparently, because really, I have never been in a primary class where students are learning how to write) the students are taught to start at the bottom left and use one full stroke to make the upstroke and the humps at the same time. But, sometimes the people writing the Ms get a little lazy and don't bother with the downturn in the middle that is supposed to be there to make the M look, well, like an M. Instead the letter turns out looking like an upside down big U. I am going to try and take a picture if I see one on a sign so you have so idea what I'm talking about. Not a huge, earth-shattering difference, just an observation from abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment