Saturday, March 20, 2010

blah blah blah

This is going to be a complaining post, so if you aren't in the mood, I suggest you just skip this one. Yesterday wasn't a good day to say the least. We had class all day, which really consisted of working in groups for a strategic management project. To say I was frustrated with the way the project was being handled and with the fact that I am learning absolutely zero from having to do it. I just don't see the point other than to work in groups with other people. We spent 8 hours putting information together on a company, all that had been outlined in the case. Not to mention that I can't really communicate with these people. I'm sure I should be immersing myself in speaking French more, but you know what? it is hard to speak French when it takes 5 minutes to have a two second conversation. It is absolutely maddening.
I think one of the biggest things I have figured out while being here is that I can't work in a culture like this for my life. I just can't adjust enough. You know why? Because I feel like to adjust to this culture is to become a utter and complete slacker and that just isn't how I was built. I'm not saying all the French are slackers, but wow they are enough of them that it makes me want to scream. Having to explain cases that we were supposed to read 3 weeks ago to people because they "have been so busy and have so many things to do" and haven't read it yet, to people making appointments and "forgetting" about them, or drinking too much the night before to come and contribute to a group project.
Don't get me wrong, I realize I'm in a college atmosphere and that people are burnt out from school and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that the "real" French world isn't this way, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is. I'm not adjusting to these aspects of the culture very well and you know why? because it leaves me inefficient, uneducated and ultimately it leaves me behind the students I know are at home working their asses off to get through classes. I'll learn a ton of "culture" from being here and there is something to be said for uprooting one's life for a year to completely change countries and education systems, I just am hoping that those positive aspects of coming over here override the inevitable truths that business development wise, other that learning how to work with the French, I'm falling behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment