Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Visa Completion

Went to the student health center this morning to finish up my paperwork for my long-stay visa. Some interesting observations while I was there:
- I had no idea we had to have a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, along with vaccinations for dyphtheria (sp?) and polio. Huh, who knew. They only seemed really concerned about my tetanus shot though and I was pretty sure I have had one of those in the last 10 years. I mean I had to have stepped on a nail or got stabbed by something unhealthy at some point. Essentially the woman took my word for it and told me to call home and confirm it had been within the last 10 years. Essentially she said, we aren't the police, and we aren't going to check up on you, but if you have to go to the hospital and you don't know when it was it might be a problem.
- Another interesting point. While I was at the office I saw a total of one person working there who was not female. This man? He was the secretary. Now I'm not anti-feminist by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought it was strange that no one other than the secretary was male. Nurses, doctors, administrators, all women. I don't know if it is because it is a univeristy health center or what. No idea. Just a strange thought that occured to me.

Also today, I had to purchase a STAMP for 55 euro today. I don't know how it is possible that a stamp can cost 55 euro, but it is absolutely necessary for turning in my visa paperwork. I guess it is just the way of collecting the tax, otherwise, what could they possibly be sending to have it cost 55 euro? Strange.
The good news is that I'm turning in my paperwork this afternoon so I will be completely done with all the bureaucratic bogusness of getting a French visa...but, now comes applying for the CAF which is how I get money back from the French government for living here. Nice huh? Should be another adventure in bureaucracy I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment