Friday, March 5, 2010

Facebook Names

While I know people in the States who use variations on their name for their facebook accounts, here, some people flat out change their names for their facebook accounts. Like to completely different names, or they just change first names or last names or something. There are of course many reasons for this, here are some I have heard:

- "I don't want people here to be able to find me"
- "This name sounds more American"
- "It is what people call me"
- "My real name is too difficult"

I only comment on this because it seems to happen way more than it does at home. I know of 4 people that have completely different facebook names than their real name. The most interesting comment was the one about wanting to sound more American. While there are names that are truly "American" i.e. Smith, Brown, etc... lots of Americans have very European sounding names....

No comments:

Post a Comment