Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Computers

One thing I don't get at all, and it happens in the States just as much as it happens here, is people constantly being on their computers during class. While I realize that some classes are infinitely boring and take quite the concentration to follow, I don't really get the point in totally not paying attention. I mean, you're paying thousands of dollars to be in class and "learn" what the teacher is trying to say, so why waste it? I'm not sure if I can say this because I'm over that facet of beging a student that is just getting the grade to get the degree, but it is also annoying to be in class with a bunch of people who aren't paying attention. If people are on their computer the whole time, then those of us that aren't, are relegated to answering questions and generally being more participative. Not that I mind answering, because these students who aren't "mentally" in class are really doing me a favor and making the class smaller for me, but sometimes I get tired of having to answer the questions.
At least this is only the problem in a few of my classes, as most French classes consist of the teacher standing at the front of the room lecturing for the entire length of the class. Talk about a drain on the intellectual ability. I much prefer interactive classes to "sitting and listening" classes, even when I have no idea what is being said. I will say though, that for those classes I have that are all in French, sometimes I am glad that the teachers rarely ask the students to participate because I'm not sure I'd be much help if a teacher called on me and expected me to understand what is going on when she's been speaking French the whole time.

1 comment:

  1. "Mitch, what are you doing on your computer during class?"
    "Oh, sorry. I was reading my sister's blog."

    ReplyDelete