Friday, March 5, 2010

The Dance

About the second week I was in Clermont, we were at a bar and it happened to be a French student's birthday. This student was male, and at midnight, everyone sang Happy Birthday to him. After the end of the song, another song started. I of course, have no idea what they are saying, but as I'm watching the people sing, the birthday boy starts removing his clothing. The bar patron came over and was yelling something at him in French but his friends were egging him on. His friends ended up taking the friend out of the bar and I didn't know what happened after that.
We started asking questions as to what all the hoopla and extra song was about. Somehow we came to find out that there is a "tradition" of this song being sung on birthdays and the person (I have only ever seen it sung to a male, so I'm assuming it is just a guy thing) has to remove all of his clothing. It is called the "Danse du Limousin".
Last night we went to a birthday party of a fellow French student at his apartment. After Happy Birthday, on came this song and the guy strategically removed all of his clothing without it being a complete strip show, as he covered himself and backed out the door way at the same time, but boy were people happy. And taking pictures. Really it is quite funny and completely bizarre. As my fellow American and I were commenting at the party, for us, the whole thing is more awkward than amusing. But as has been the theme, just another bewilderment of French life.

UPDATE: I asked around a little more about this dance. Apparently it is just a thing that students at this school created. It doesn't happen in all of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment